Gates Cambridge Scholarship
In October 2000, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation announced a donation of $210 million to the University of Cambridge to establish the Gates Cambridge Trust. Gates Cambridge Scholarships are available to outstanding young men and women from outside the United Kingdom who wish to pursue a full-time graduate degree in any subject offered at the University of Cambridge. Scholarships are awarded on intellectual ability, leadership potential, social commitment and a good match between the candidate and the University of Cambridge. Information Sheet | PowerPoint
- Be citizens of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- Apply to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge:
- PhD (three year research only degree)
- MSc or MLitt (two year research only degree)
- One-year post-graduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, Diploma, MBA etc.)
- Must be admitted to one of the degrees above at Cambridge through the University's normal admission procedures. The Trust does not admit students.
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge, namely:
- the University Composition Fee and College fees at the appropriate rate
- A maintenance allowance
- one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- Family allowance available for dependents
- Conference attendance & Fieldwork
Academic excellence - Gates Cambridge Scholars are expected to be academically outstanding with the ability to make a significant contribution to their discipline while in Cambridge.
Leadership potential - Successful applicants must be able to demonstrate a clear ability to lead. Evidence of leadership can be expressed in a multitude of ways but the capacity of Gates Cambridge Scholars to 'take others with them' is central to the success of the program.
A commitment to improving the lives of others - A defining characteristic of the Gates Cambridge Scholarships is the commitment of our Scholars to working for the greater good.
A good fit with Cambridge - It is important that you can make a convincing argument for doing a particular postgraduate degree at Cambridge .It is therefore important that you fully research your proposed degree using the Graduate Studies Prospectus and the website of the department to which you are applying.